Saturday, October 25, 2008

Deep Thoughts By Annabelle

The other day we were in the van going to church. I was trying to help Annabelle learn her memory verse that she has been assigned to recite for the kid's Christmas program. I John 4:21. "And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." See? I already have it memorized. I think they do that to parents on purpose.

Anyway, Annabelle was still struggling. I could tell she had no idea what it meant, so I was trying to explain it to her in 4 year old terms. Try explaining that "his brother" means that we're supposed to love everyone around us....

"You mean God has a brother?"

"No, brother means all the people we see around us. If we love God, we need to love everyone, too. God made everyone."

"So we need to love everyone." (Doesn't sound convinced.)

"Yes!"

Silence. I could almost hear the wheels turning her head.

"Jesus is God's son, right Mommy?"

"Yes."

"So, why didn't God have a daughter?"

Wow. I have never even THOUGHT to ask that question.

"Ummm....I don't know. But God knows. Why don't you ask him. You want to listen to Veggie Tales?"

"Yes!"

So there you have it. Stumped once again by a 4 year old.

1 comment:

katdish said...

Ah, the bait and switch. I know it well...

I remember with fondess my son's first memory verse:

"Follow me, and I will make you fishers, Amen."