Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

*Here's a short drama I wrote for church. I did some research to try to be as accurate of the facts as I could...but in some ways, this follower of Jesus could your or me today...Happy Easter!*

My life before Jesus was so dark. I was possessed by seven demons. Don't look at me like that. I know it sounds crazy, but it was true. My family was wealthy and I was an embarrassment. They threw me out of my own house. I found myself wandering from town to town. I begged to survive and slept in the streets. Most people were scared of me and told their children not to look at me for fear of becoming possessed as well. The truth is, I was afraid of myself. I didn't know why I did the insane things I did or why the voices in my head never stopped. I was so close to ending my own life . What was there to live for? One day I heard someone talking in the street about a man named Jesus. “He heals all who touch him!” they said. I went to see him out of curiosity. Surely he would be like all the other “magic healers” and “great teachers,” with their fancy shows and empty promises.

But then I saw him. He was so soft spoken, but in his eyes there was a peace and love that seemed to shout and drown the other voices in my head. I can't explain it, but I knew he could heal me. I pushed my way to the front of the crowd and the demons fought every step. I'm sure I caused quite a commotion that day. Jesus saw my struggle and asked the men with him to bring me to him.
“What is it you want, woman?” he asked.
“To be healed.” I said.
And it was done instantly. From that moment on, I owed Jesus my life. I followed him wherever he went and helped to provide food and shelter for his disciples. From his teachings, I learned that he was more than just a healer, he was the Messiah that we Jews had been waiting for. I led the other women who followed Jesus. Many of them were from the same streets I was. People hated us and the excitement we caused. They thought we were just starting trouble. Couldn't they see we were just trying to help them? Couldn't they see the peace and love in Jesus' eyes like I did?

But the Pharisees and other teachers of the law kept hating Jesus more. The night of the Passover meal, they arrested him. It was supposed to be a time of celebration, but it quickly turned to a time of fear for all of us followers. I couldn't believe that this man I followed, my Messiah, could be treated so badly. Why didn't he save himself and us? Most of his disciples fled, but no one questions the presence of a pitiful woman from the streets. I watched it all from the shadows. The trials. The beatings. When they took him away to be crucified, I followed him all the way up that hill...

My Lord died there. But it was only the beginning. Three days later I spoke to my Messiah. He was alive, and I started to understand for the first time how truly powerful his love is...for me.

2 comments:

katdish said...

What a wonderfully written drama. You are a multi-talented geek! Also, I've never seen that video before -- very powerful imagery. Loved that.

Hoped you had a wonderful Easter.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

I loved how you told the story too. Definitely had a spirit connection as I read it.

It added a layer of meaning to the familiar story for me.

Great post!