Tuesday, March 17, 2009

See Beth Run



Yesterday, I went for a run. It's been awhile...

I used to run quite regularly. In high school I ran cross country and track. Those were the only sports in which I wouldn't completely embarrass myself. All I had to do is run from point A to point B as fast as I could. Which wasn't very fast, mind you, but I loved being on the teams and competing anyway, even if it was mostly against the clock and not other people.

A classic Beth running story is when I was running the 3200 at a high school in our conference. That's 8 laps around the track, folks. Nobody liked running that race, but I don't think my coach knew where else to put me. As usual, I was the last runner in the race, but I was chugging along, doing my thing. I looked up ahead and....ducks. There were ducks on the track. Yes, ducks. Did anyone see fit to help me by shooing the ducks off the track? Nope. I was on my own. I tried yelling and waving my arms a little, thinking they would move. Nope. They stayed right where they were. I had to run AROUND them. Did I mention this was a race? Did I mention I was last already? Thanks ducks, for heaping on the embarrassment. Those people were definitely laughing AT me and not with me. So as you can see, any awards I won for running were usually because the awards outnumbered the runners in the race...

But I truly do like to run. There's something very freeing about just pounding the pavement, breathing in and out, and talking to God along the way. Lately, I've been exercising a little at home. I turn on some music and do some crunches and push-ups and do some generally ridiculous dancing to get my heart going a little. But it's time for something more. When I start reading about my cousin winning running trophies on Facebook(Trophies? Is he really related to me?) and my friend happened to mention she ran 9 MILES last Saturday morning...surely I can do more! Besides, Frank has been going to the gym before work, and I refuse to let him be more in shape than me. If there was a husband vs. wife athletic competition, we would be the laughing stock of the group, but we would probably die trying. We are just competitive like that. A fierce game of horse, croquet, wiffle ball-you name it. You're going down.

Yesterday the weather was perfect for running, so after dinner off I went! It seems there's some areas that jiggle a lot more than they used to...ahem...but other than that, it was a fairly successful run. Not an incredibly long run, but hey, a run none the less. I hope I didn't blind anyone with my white chicken legs. YIKES! I hadn't realized how bad it was until the shorts were on. But as I was running, I came up with a goal. I know myself well enough to know if I don't set any goals, I will run once or twice and not run again until next year sometime. So the goal is by next fall, I will be able to run from my house, around Sullivan Lake, and back home again. I don't know the actual mileage of that, but I'm guessing it's in the 5 to 6 mile range. I'm going to go measure it later this week.

Last night as we were going to bed, Frank and I had a thought. Maybe we could enter a 5K together. Now, I know that we would never be able to run TOGETHER in a race. Our styles are completely different. I'm a slow and steady tortoise. Frank's style is run fast and then take a break a la the hare. Using that analogy...I might win the race! An appealing thought. :) But we both agreed that we would NOT ever win any awards for our age category. Unless we keep running until we're 80. Then we might have a chance if the rest of the competition dies off....

So to keep me motivated and accountable, please ask me during the next few weeks how the running is going. If I know people are going to ask, I might be more likely to stick with it!

9 comments:

Helen said...

Good for you! I never was a runner. I would probably split my shins if I took it up at my weight, but I am proud of you!

♥ Kathy said...

Good luck! I know you can do it :) I used to run cross country too. Now days I think I would die if I tried! Happy St. Patrick's Day :D

Lisa Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Joy said...

I highly recommend running a 5K together! It's not a terribly long distance and it will be a good bonding experience for the two of you. Eric and I try to do Bethel's 5K each fall, and it's a great incentive to work towards in the summer. Since we're both training for it, there's a lot of give and take as far as who gets to work out when. All in all, it's been a great experience for us!

BTW, there's no WAY we actually run together! With Eric's infinitely long runner's legs, and my short stubby ones, it's amazing I can even finish within 10 minutes of him!

Sherri Murphy said...

I loved your picture.
And I'm proud of you.

And a bit jealous.

I would love to run, but I'd have to wear DEPENDS!

Sorry, I'm full of TMI today in my comments. NO ONE is safe!

Amy said...

Running! Wow, Beth! Proud of you for getting back out there. It sounds like it will be some good "you" time, to re-energize, to clear your head, to pray. Way to go, girl!

Annie K said...

I can't stand running (so good for you!), but I can walk crazy-fast next to you!

Ogre said...

What is it with my family and running?! Crazy people. Anne says we should sponsor a family run around that lake when you're ready to run it. I'll fire off the starting gun and go get a beer.

katdish said...

1) Good for you. I'll try to remember to bug you about it, but my motto is "No pain....no pain."

2) That is the lamest road sign ever.

3) Yay Rob!

4) Have you considered Snuggicize?