Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring? Is That You?

Yesterday was a beautiful day. It was a for real warm Spring-like day. I say Spring-like because I know it's too early to STAY warm. It's supposed to storm and get colder later today, in fact. But it was SO nice while it lasted.

I packed up lunch and the kids, and we headed to the park at Merom Bluff. Yeah, it's a few miles away, but sometimes you need a change from the ol' city park. It's got a kickin' playground for one....well, if you're 3 or 4 or 29 it does. And the bluff overlooks the Wabash River. It's a beautiful view. For being smack dab in the land of flat, the bluff is pretty dramatic. You can see miles of farms and little towns on the other side of the river. So we ate and played for awhile. Baby Jay started to get cranky and needed a bottle. I wheeled his stroller to the little shelter house and sitting on the table was a book on...worship.

Doo doo doo doo. Cue Twilight Zone music. Is this for me, God? Pretty hefty and specific reading to be randomly lying on a picnic table in a deserted park in Merom, Indiana. Population: 294 people.

So while the older kids played and Baby Jay downed the bottle, I had a nice little quiet time reading the first few pages of the book and enjoying the breeze and sunshine. Ahhhhhh. Refreshing.

Don't ask me what I would have done if someone came up to claim their book. Probably stammer something like.."Uh...worship is cool!" and look incredibly guilty and hand it back to them. But no one did. I can't say I wasn't a little tempted to keep it. But I figured stealing a book on worship would be wrong somehow. Yeah.

The kids must have played pretty hard, because they all konked out on the ride home. As we were flying down the highway through all the farm land, I was reminded of the fields near my home growing up. I loved walking down the little dirt road between the fields and pretending I was a pioneer. Who knows who the land belonged to...but they sure provided hours of fun for me as a child!

The kids were sleeping so well, that I drove right past the house and decided I'd drive my running route around the lake to see how far it really is. Good naps are priceless around here- gotta keep the peace and quiet when I can!! Boy was I off on the mileage. It's almost exactly 9 miles. A pretty hefty run...yeesh. But last night I watched the contestants on The Biggest Loser run a half-marathon (13.1 miles, baby), so I suppose there are no excuses. So the revised goal is: Run the 9 mile lake route at least once by Sept. 15. There. It's in print for the whole world wide web to see. No backing out now.

8 comments:

Lisa Joy said...

Good for you! I've got a great training website for you: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

It's a "Couch to 5K" plan, but it'll get you started. I used it for my first 5K, and it was nearly painless! There are other running plans on there, too, for more experienced runners, which you'll be once you master the 5K!

Sherri Murphy said...

A twilight zone moment for sure.

I think we must share the exact weather patterns. Did we ever figure out how far away we are from each other? Big AL and I just might hop over to your neck of the woods on the Fat Boy! (you know, so we can help you with the food vending carnival business you guys will be starting come summer!)

Helen said...

Are you starting a food vending business this summer? Or is my leg being pulled again? I wouldn't have considered taking the found book stealing. I'd be thinking someone left it there on purpose to "spread the word", so I would take it home, read it, and leave it in my dentist's office next time. Does that make me a worship thief?

Annie K said...

9 miles? You are my hero.

Have you seen those little things from Nike (called Nike+) that you put in your shoe and it tracks your running..."Visit NikePlus.com to track your runs, set goals, participate in challenges, and join the largest running club. Nike+ tells you your distance, pace, ..."

Jon has one. Pretty sweet. It's kind of like your own 'Verizon network'...only not.

♥ Kathy said...

When I was a teen our church got a bunch of books together and wrote in them "Please enjoy this book but when you're through leave it somewhere for someone else to enjoy it". I would see those books around town and always felt so happy :)

katdish said...

Lisa Joy's "Couch to 5K" plan sounds interesting. I'm currently on the "Recliner with Planky to Couch with Dave" plan. It's fairly awesome. My studio is also right next to the laundry room, so I can actually be on the computer and hear when it's time to take the clothes out of the dryer. win-win.

Glad you had a good day with the kiddos outside. It is absolutely gorgeous here today, huh Kathy?

Mary Ann said...

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon!! Love that you are getting back into running. By september? You got that Beth! I think you should just make your goal a half marathon instead! What's an extra 4 miles at that point? Seriously...you can do it and they are so fun to be a part of!!

Shark Bait said...

Next time you find a book lying around, look at the back and see if it is one of these...

www.bookcrossing.com

Maybe someone was waiting for you to take it.

Read and Release people!