Sunday, December 21, 2008

Then and Now





One of my very favorite things about the holidays is seeing family that I don't get to see nearly enough during the year. Here's a fun look at my sister, brother, and I around 1988 (20 years ago!?!) and us again this past Thanksgiving. Now that we're grown-ups (and I use that term loosely), we live in three different states(well, technically one lives in a district that's not a state) and it's rare that we're all in the same place at the same time. But when we do get together, I am always so proud to learn more about who my siblings are now and all that they are up to. My sister, Christy, lives in Michigan, teaches Spanish, and this past June she and her husband became parents for the first time to my cutie nephew Linus. My brother, David, is an economics grad student at Georgetown University in Washington D.C. and has been married for over a year now. Both are internationally minded, articulate, smart, seek to serve their community, and are a part of dynamic churches in their respective cities. I will always be the big sister, I suppose, but I really admire them both. And I think God has some big stuff planned for their futures. I can't wait to see how it unfolds!

When we are together, it sometimes still amazes me that they are adults...because I grew up, but I forget they did, too. I still think they are kids...and I think I have to boss them around...or state the obvious for them...
But that is one of the things I like best about the three of us getting together. No matter how much time has past or how far apart we live, when we are together, we can still be the same little kids for a moment...sitting at the "kids" table stuffing our faces and rolling our eyes at our parents taking pictures of us.

Love you both!

9 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

How sweet.

Love the pics! How cute you are!

That bond between siblings is amazing!
I'm impressed...your brother, grad of Georgetown! WHoa!

You should ALWAYS boss them around!That's the benefit of being the first born!

Glad to know that it is not only MY sons that roll their eyes at me.

Once again, I forget how young you are till I'm reminded by a photo.

I need to find me some older bloggers! You guys are makin' this old lady feel her years!

Helen said...

Sherri is right, you all do look young. And happy. You look like you are really enjoying each other's company. That's great!

Mary Ann said...

ah, the kids table.

Funny how you never get too old for it. Maybe more funny that the name never gets changed...

katdish said...

I never figured you for the oldest. Sherri for sure, but you not so much. I'm the youngest of 4, I guess that's why I derive such delight in giving Sherri a hard time! You have a nephew named Linus? How cool is that?

P. S. - I was able to get an additional snuggie free (plus shipping and handling), so I expect to see Frank gettin' his groove on as well...

Beth said...

We are 29, 26, and 23. We have pretty spectacular parents, so I think that has a lot to do with us getting along so well...I'm sure I'll tell you all more about them sometime. (Hi, Mom, I know you're reading this. You can comment if you want to....really.)

Sherri- My brother hasn't graduated yet...he's in his second year of a four year doctoral program. He's probably the smartest person I know...except for my dad. And you are far from old, so quit saying that!

Kathy- In a lot of ways, I think my siblings act more mature than I do...doody doody doo...I wouldn't know WHY you pegged me as a younger sibling...hehe...doody.

Did you just say 2 SNUGGIES??

Annie K said...

Hey...I had that very same haircut. The Dorothy Hamill rocked!

I am youngest of 3 (2 older brothers). I guess Sherri really is the older more mature one of the bunch. HA!

Beth said...

I call it mushroom head. Usually it laid flat against my head and I got mistaken for a boy a lot...but come picture time we got out the curling iron and....mushroom head was born! Then in fifth grade I discovered poofy bangs. More frightening still.

Sherri Murphy said...

Okay, even though I'm the oldest here, I am THE BABY of my famly, OKAY?

You think YOUR hair was bad Beth, try having kinky curly red hair an trying to pull off the "FarraH" feathered bangs, before the flat iron was invented!

It was a disaster! I've burnt all the picures...and negatives!
No photos of me from 4th grade through age 15 when I learned how to straighten it with a blow dryer and big round brush. The curly perm look came into style my sophomore year, so that helped. I could let it go natural.

Beth said...

So am I really the only one who's the oldest sibling in their family?